People generally don’t take eye health seriously enough. One reason is that they are blessed with the perfect vision and this makes them forget that this blessing might be snatched away because of their own carelessness. So whether you are young or old, remember it is very important to take care of your eyes, if you wish to maintain your perfect vision.
There are many ways to keep your eyes healthy and strong. The most natural way is consuming food that is beneficial for vision. Research shows that increasing the intake of antioxidants like Lutein and Zeaxanthin decreases the rate of macula degeneration. Macula, found in the center of the retina, controls the vision. Vegetables like kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, peas and zucchini are rich in these antioxidants.
Other things that help with attaining the perfect vision are vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids. Foods that contain high contents of vitamins and omega-3 include:
- Green Leafy Vegetables are not only good for your skin they are great for your eyes too. They help in reducing degeneration of the cornea. This reduces your chances of needing visionary aides in your old age.
- Avocados are rich in lutein, which means they again help with the macula. High intake of avocados also reduces chances of developing cataracts. They contain vitamin A, C, B6 and E. You could add them to smoothies or make a fruit salad.
- Eggs are a great source of vitamin A, B12, D, zinc, lecithin, cystein and lutein. Fry them or make omelets, they are a delicious method to keep your eyes healthy.
- Tomatoes have high content of vitamin C and lycopene. If you consume tomatoes regularly, not only do you reduce chances of anemia, you also keep your eyes from losing the perfect vision.
- Salmon is the richest source of omega-3 fatty acids. Studies suggest that people who consume more salmon have great skin, beautiful hair and perfect vision, compared to those who don’t.
- Fish oil is another source for omega-3 acids. If you don’t like eating fish you can take cod-liver oil or fish oil supplements to increase omega-3 acid concentration in your body. Fish oil also contributes in making your eyes glossy.
- Carrots contain high amounts of vitamin A. The most effective way to eat them is when they are raw, but eating them cooked or drinking fresh carrot juice is also great for the eye.
- Want to eat something that tastes like heaven and is just as healthy? Try eating dark chocolate. It is rich in flavanoids that is said to increase blood supply to your eyes which improves vision. But it is pure dark chocolate that gives this benefit, not milk chocolate.
- Almonds soaked in milk overnight and consumed the next morning without their peel are great for eyes too.
- Oranges are also high in vitamin A and C. They are not only great for skin and complexion they work miracles for your eyes too. All citrus fruits work to improve the overall health of your eyes.